stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

Island of Glass
Nora Roberts
Canyons of Night (Arcane Society #12)(Harmony #8)(Looking Glass Trilogy #3)
Jayne Castle
Progress: 196/325pages

The Wire in the Blood

The Wire In The Blood  - Val McDermid

This is the second in the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series, and also the book that the tv show took its name from.

We see Tony in charge of training young officers in a profiling task force and Carol has also started a new job. The two haven't seen each other since the events that unfolded at the end of the first book, but are brought back together when Carol suspects there's a serial arsonist operating on her turf. At the same time, Tony's team are working cases as training exercises and one of his officers comes up with what is perceived to be an off-the-wall theory: Celebrity Jacko Vance is a serial killer who has been murdering teenage girls for more than 10 years. When the young trainee investigates on her own, it leads to tragedy and to Carol becoming involved in Tony's case as well.

I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series, but it was somewhat frustrating to know who the killer was and then to see everyone (police and so on) laugh off the idea because of this guy's celebrity and the facade he put on. I guess it made the pay off in the end more worthwhile, though.

I used this book for the following square: