stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Dramatized)
Ian Hallard, Aysha Kala, Big Finish Productions, Oscar Wilde, Marcus Hutton, James Unsworth, Alexander Vlahos, Miles Richardson, David Llewellyn
Progress: 34%
Out of this World
J.D. Robb, Maggie Shayne, Susan Krinard, Laurell K. Hamilton
Progress: 92/357pages

The White Queen

The White Queen - Philippa Gregory

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this book as of yet. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.

The subject matter was definitely interesting. Elizabeth Woodville, as she is presented in this book, is a compelling, if not exactly likeable character. She knew what she wanted, and she fought hard to get and then keep it.

I mainly think the author's writing style and I did not get along. Things are often told and not shown, and at times that could get a little tedious. This is in part, I think, due to the use of first person for the majority of the book.

Also, I am not sure how I felt about the whole magic/witch aspect of the story. I know that both Elizabeth and her mother were accused of practicing witchcraft, but for magic to have played an actual role in the story? I just don't know.

I did like reading about the legend of Melusina, though.

I did enjoy this enough to want to check out the tv series based on this book, though.