stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

(Audiobook) The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place - C.J. Tudor, Richard Armitage

I'm not gonna lie, my initial interest in this book was due to the fact that Richard Armitage narrates the audiobook. If you've followed me for any length of time, you'll know that I absolutely adore him, not only as an audiobook narrator, but first as an actor.

That being said, I also thought the synopsis sounded interesting:

"Joe never wanted to come back to Arnhill. After the way things ended with his old gang - the betrayal, the suicide, the murder - and after what happened when his sister went missing, the last thing he wanted to do was return to his hometown. But Joe doesn't have a choice. Because judging by what was done to that poor Morton kid, what happened all those years ago to Joe's sister is happening again. And only Joe knows who is really at fault.

Lying his way into a teaching job at his former high school is the easy part. Facing off with former friends who are none too happy to have him back in town - while avoiding the enemies he's made in the years since - is tougher. But the hardest part of all will be returning to that abandoned mine where it all went wrong and his life changed forever and finally confronting the shocking, horrifying truth about Arnhill, his sister, and himself. Because for Joe, the worst moment of his life wasn't the day his sister went missing.

It was the day she came back."

So, I preordered it.

I kind of wish now that I'd saved it for Halloween Bingo, because it would definitely fit a whole host of squares.

It did take awhile to get going, which I really didn't notice until thinking back on it after I'd finished. I think the excellent narration masked it somewhat. However, once it got to about the 50% mark, it was pretty much impossible to put down. It was creepy, if not outright scary, and it had a few nice twists here and there that managed to surprise me when I thought I'd figured out how things were going to go.

The story behind the events that led up to Joe's sister, Annie's disappearance, and subsequent reappearance is told via flashbacks that are interspersed among the present day story.

This is the author's second book. I have already bought her first, The Chalk Man, on audio, and am going to try to save it for Halloween Bingo. (It's not narrated by Richard Armitage.)