stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

A Fistful of Charms (Rachel Morgan Series #4)

A Fistful of Charms (Rachel Morgan Series #4) -

I’m really conflicted about this book. Parts of it I really liked, other parts had me rolling me eyes hard enough to make my head hurt. My initial thoughts was to give the book two stars, but Jenks…Jenks earned the book another star.

I apologize if this review is messy and incoherent.

The story itself, is well written, action packed, and yet still nicely paced. Even if it did involve rescuing Nick, a character I never really liked all that much to begin with. That being said, I was shocked at just how much of a jerk he turned out to be. I mean…wow!

This one almost entirely takes place outside of Cincinnati, and I’m not really a fan of the fish out of water or road trip stories, whichever you want to call them. Some series can pull them off beautifully, but this one didn’t. There were characters I missed seeing in this book. Kisten, for one. He was only in the book at the beginning and the end, save for the occasional phone call. David was another, again only in the book at the beginning and the end. And lastly I missed Trent. I think there’s a very interesting dynamic between him and Rachel, and I’d love to see it explored further. I guess that’s why I don’t like the road trip stories as much, they limit the interactions between the characters…well, those other than the characters that are off on the adventure.

I liked learning a bit more about the Were culture and the pack politics and rules, it made for a nice change of pace over the vampire and demon stuff of the first few books.

Jenks, I’ll start with him first since he’s by far and away my favorite character. I loved, loved, loved reading about his reactions to finding himself standing at 6’4” as opposed to his regular pixie height of four inches. And he always has laugh-out-loud dialogue. He’s what kept me reading this book on those occasions I grew annoyed with the other characters. But he’s not just comic relief. He’s fiercely loyal to those he cares about and a devoted husband and father. His reaction Jax’s betrayal was heartbreaking.

Which is why Rachel’s constant ogling of his 6’4” inch self grated on me at times. Ok, I get it. At human sized, Jenks is a hot, studly looking hunk of manflesh. I don’t even blame Rachel for noticing, I’d notice something like that too. What put me off is that she continues to ogle and check him out for the entire remainder of the book. I mean, this is her married friend, who is completely, totally and sweetly devoted to his wife…who is also Rachel’s friend. Nothing at all wrong with looking, but this was just too much.

Moving on to Ivy. This will be hard for me to put into words that will accurately describe my feelings, I think. I’m not very fond of Ivy as a character and the whole whatever is going on between her and Rachel is starting to grate. Ivy has feelings for Rachel which extend beyond friendship, while Rachel says she's into men only and therefore just views Ivy as a friend, but her actions don't always jibe with what she says, at least in my opinion. You know, now that I think about it, maybe that's why the author had Rachel pretty much lusting over practically every male she came into contact with (remember the dive instructor guy?). It seemed that she was trying to reinforce Rachel's straightness by dropping those anvil sized hints on the reader. Anyway, there needs to be some sort of resolution worked out between the two and soon, whatever it may be, or I may not be able to continue with this series. That’s a shame too, because I had been--up until this point--really enjoying it.I’ve bought the next book in the series (bought cheaply at a bookstore closing sale *cries*), so I’ll give it a go and see if it’s any better.