stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

Island of Glass
Nora Roberts
Canyons of Night (Arcane Society #12)(Harmony #8)(Looking Glass Trilogy #3)
Jayne Castle
Progress: 196/325pages

24 Festive Tasks 2018 - Update #14

I have officially doubled my total points from last year, so that's another goal accomplished. My final goal is to complete a task or book for every door. I fell a bit short last year (I think I had 2 squares blank), so I hope to do better this year. So far, so good!

Door 1: Día de los Muertos (Task 2) - Share your favorite gravestone epitaph (you know you have one).

Door 2: Guy Fawkes Night (Task 1) - Burn a book in effigy.  Not that anyone of us would do such a thing, but if you HAD to, which book would be the one you’d sacrifice to the flames (gleefully or not)?

Door 2: Guy Fawkes Night (Task 2) - List your top 3 treasonous crimes against books.  Not ones you’ve committed, but the ones you think are the worst.

Door 3: Melbourne Cup Day (Task 1) - Pick your ponies!  MbD has posted the horses scheduled to race; everyone picks the three they think will finish (in any order).

Door 4: Diwali (Task 1) - Share a picture of your favorite light display.

Door 4: Diwali (Task 4) - During Diwali, people pray to the goddess Lakhshmi, who is typically depicted as a beautiful young woman holding a lotus flower. Find 5 books on your shelves (either physical or virtual) whose covers show a young woman holding a flower and share their cover images.

Door 4: Diwali (Book) - Read a book with candles on the cover or the word “candle” or “light” in the title; OR a book that is the latest in a series; OR set in India; OR any non-fiction book that is ‘illuminating’ (Diwali is Sanskrit for light/knowledge and row, line or series)

Door 5: Armistice/Veteran's Day (Task 3) - Tell us: What author’s books would you consider yourself a veteran of (i.e., by which author have you read particularly many books – or maybe even all of them)?

Door 5: Armistice Day/Veteran's Day (Task 1) - Using book covers (real or virtual), create a close approximation of your country’s flag (either of residence or birth), OR a close approximation of a poppy.  Take a pic of your efforts and post.

Door 6: International Day for Tolerance (Task 1) - Find some redeeming quality in the book you liked least this year and post about it.

Door 6: International Day for Tolerance (Task 2) - Tell us: What are the tropes (up to 5) that you are not willing to live with in any book (i.e., which are absolutely beyond your capacity for tolerance) and which make that book an automatic DNF for you? (Insta-love? Love triangles? First person present narrative voice? Talking animals? The dog dies? What else?)

Door 7: Mawlid (Task 1) - Make two “prophesies” you think will come to fruition in 2019 in your personal or reading life.

Door 7: Mawlid (Task 2) - The Five Pillars of Islam include almsgiving and the pilgrimage to Mekka. Tell us: Have you ever donated books or rescued them from (horror of horrors) being trashed? Alternatively: Is there a book-related place that is a place of pilgrimage to you?

Door 8: Penance Day (Task 1) - “Confess” your book habits.  Dog-earring?  Laying books face down?  Bending back the spines? Skimming?  OR: Confess your guilty reading pleasure, or comfort reads

Door 8: Penance Day (Task 2) - It’s “Pennants” day according to MbD’s husband: post a picture of your favorite team’s logo / mascot and the last time they’ve won a championship (or not).

Door 8: Penance Day (Task 3) - In centuries gone by, penance would often end up in what might be described as a very extended bad hair day (complete with sackcloth and ashes). Tell us: What’s a bad hair day to you – and what (if anything) do you do about it?

Door 8: Penance Day (Task 4) - Early Christian spiritualists would sometimes do penance by spending time in the desert. If you’ve ever visited a desert region (or even live there), post a picture and tell us about it. Alternatively, post a picture of sand dunes (NOT with water in the background!).

Door 9: Thanksgiving (Task 1) - List the 3 books you’ve read this year you’re most “thankful” for (your favs) or the one book you’ve ever read that changed your life for the better.

Door 9: Thanksgiving (Task 2) - Describe your perfect meal.  What would you cook for the perfect celebration, or, what would you have your imaginary personal chef cook for you?

Door 9: Thanksgiving (Task 4) - Show us your 2018 book “harvest” – the books you newly acquired this year, regardless whether bought, received as gift or in whichever other way.

Door 10: Bon Om Touk (Task 1) - Make a paper boat and post a picture of it.   Instructions, if needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiAWx8odStA

Door 10: Bon Om Touk (Task 3) - Bon Om Touk celebrates the end of the rainy season. Tell us: What’s your favorite type of rainy day book – and do you have a favorite drink or snack to go with your rainy day reading? Photos welcome!

Door 10: Bon Om Touk (Book) - Read a book that takes place at sea or on a river OR with water on the cover OR where the plot involves a festival or the moon plays a pivotal role in the plot.

Door 11: Russian Mother's Day (Task 1) - Tell us: What is the mother of all writerly sins in your book (tropes, grammar mistakes, telling instead of showing, etc.)?

Door 11: Russian Mother's Day (Task 3) - Perhaps the best-known scene in the James Bond novel and film From Russia With Love is 007 being poisoned by Russian agent Rosa Klebb with a venom-laced blade hidden in her shoe. Tell us: Have you ever owned any particular / outrageous / funny / best-beloved or otherwise special pair of shoes? Post a photo if you should still own them.

Door 12: St. Andrew's Day (Book) - Andrew was the first apostle; read the first book in a series. OR:  Andrew and Peter were brothers; read a book about brothers. OR: Read books about or set in Scotland or by a Scottish author, or set in Charleston, South Carolina (which is where the celebrations as we know them today began - by a group of Scottish expats - according to scotland.org).

Door 13: Advent (Book) - Advent also means “second coming”: Read a pastiche, or a book written by an “authorised author” by the deceased author’s estate. OR: There are four Sundays in Advent. Read the fourth book of a series or a book with the word “four” in the title.

Door 14: Hanukkah (Task 1) -  Have you had any miracles in your life?  (Kids are a given.)  Just enough change for tolls?  Just enough gas to get you to the station?  Been tragically late for a flight only to find the flight was even more tragically delayed? Nothing is too small - share your miracles with us!

Door 15: Sinterklaas/St. Nicholas Day (Task 1) - Write a book wish list to St. Nick.

Door 15: Sinterklaas/St. Nicholas Day (Task 4) - List your 3 favorite books involving children being rescued from serious peril.

Total points: 30