stellarraven

Jennifer's BOOooOOOks

Generation

Generation - J.J. Green

This was merely okay. The premise of the story was a good one. It put me in the mind of Invasion of the Body Snatchers in a way. Though, nowhere near as good.

An alien life form begins taking over the bodies of a starship crew, and it's up to a few people who are wise to what's going on to try to save the remaining crew as well as stop the infections from spreading beyond the ship.

This was a quick, easy read, and I think that was part of the problem. The characters didn't feel fully fleshed out to me, and that made it really hard to care about what happened to them.

Another thing that irked me was the censoring of the swearing. An example, taken from my kindle:

The author already had the word "krat" as a swear word, so I'm not sure why if the author didn't want to use real swear words that she didn't just continue to use alternates? It makes me no never mind if an author uses swearing or not in their books. But if you're gonna do it, either do it by using the actual words or making ones for the book's universe. This really threw me out of the book, and in my mind I just sort of filled in those dolphin noises from that episode of Spongebob where Spongebob and Patrick learn all the "bad" words. *shrugs*

Lastly, this is a serial, so this is only the first part and therefore isn't a complete story. It gets to an ending point, but nothing is really resolved.

I doubt I go further in the series.