stellarraven

Jennifer's BOOooOOOks

Berkely Street

Berkley Street (Berkley Street Series Book 1) - Scare Street,  Ron; Ripley

This is the second book I've read by this author. This first, I believe I read during Summer Book Bingo last year. I don't remember too much about it, but I remember liking it well enough. I think I rated it three stars.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It's about a man named Shane Ryan who returns to his childhood home more than twenty years after his parents disappeared from that home. The story is told through flashbacks to Shane's childhood in the house along side the present day story.

We find out pretty early on in the book that the house is, in fact, haunted, and that Shane can see and speak with the ghosts.

This book is pretty short--the kindle edition lists it at 192 pages. But there is a lot of story packed into those 192 pages. It's pretty much all action all the time, so it makes for a quick read.

I'm using it for the "Modern Masters of Horror" square, but it would also work for many other like "Genre: Horror," "Ghost," "Supernatural," or "Haunted Houses."

I'd probably have rated it four stars, but there was one thing that I had a hard time looking past.

When Shane is young, his parents end up believing that he can see ghosts, that not all of the ghosts are happy they're there, and that the house is haunted. Yet, they don't immediately move out, and even go out and leave their son at home alone...sometimes at night, when the ghostly happenings in the house are at their worst. o.O

(show spoiler)