stellarraven

J.D. Robb, Maggie Shayne, Susan Krinard, Laurell K. Hamilton
Progress: 92/357pages

Sleepy Hollow: General of the Dead

SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3) - Richard Gleaves

Wow! I'm not sure I can say more than that right now. I'm suffering from a of bit book hangover, I think. As I said in my previous update, I was up til nearly 4 am finishing this. *yawns*

I'm not sure I can post a synopsis without spoiling anything, so I won't.

This book is long--the kindle edition lists it at 609 pages--but it reads fast. It's pretty much non-stop action from start to end. Seriously, I had to put the book down sometimes just because I felt the need to catch my breath.

It does slow down somewhat in the middle section so that we can finally find out what's in Agathe's diary. I admit, I did feel a bit of impatience to get back to the modern day story, not that I found Agathe's story boring or anything. It just was a bit jarring to leave our main protagonist in such a precarious situation for so long. I think I'd have preferred the diary bits to be spread out through the book, but that's just a minor quibble.

The villains in this one move of the Umbridge Scale of Evil to a full 4 if not 4.5 Umbridges. I was soooooooo ready for them to get what was coming to them.

Our quartet of Jason, Joey, Kate, and Zef went through so much in this book, so to see them get what they deserved was very satisfying indeed.

Oh, and I cried a couple times at the end.

Sidenote: When I went to amazon/KU to return this book I happened to notice that the price dropped from $9.99 to $5.99, and while that's still more than I normally pay for ebooks ($3.99 is my usual limit), I thought that was a fair price for me personally since I got the first two for free. So, I bought it. I definitely think this is a series I will reread in the future. Annnnnd, looking at the Facebook page for the series, it looks like it will continue past the three books set in Sleepy Hollow, so that's something to look forward to as well!