stellarraven

Jennifer's Books

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Dramatized)
Ian Hallard, Aysha Kala, Big Finish Productions, Oscar Wilde, Marcus Hutton, James Unsworth, Alexander Vlahos, Miles Richardson, David Llewellyn
Progress: 34%
Out of this World
J.D. Robb, Maggie Shayne, Susan Krinard, Laurell K. Hamilton
Progress: 92/357pages

(Audiobook) The Martian

The Martian - Andy Weir, R.C. Bray

(This review is based on the audiobook version, read by R.C. Bray.)

WOW! That was literally my first thought upon finishing this book. I don't know if my review will be more coherent than that, either.

I absolutely LOVED this book. I mean, I figured I would at least like it, if for no other reason that the commercials I'd seen on tv for the movie looked good. But I didn't realize I would love it this much. I think the book's humor caught me by surprise. I had no idea it would be that funny. But it was. Oh boy, was it ever. There were a few instances where I'd have to rewind a bit because I was laughing so hard at something that I'd end up missing what came after.

It was also thrilling, and had me on the edge of my seat at times.

It's a story about hope, a story about perseverance, a story about the human condition and the will to live, and it's just a hell of a lot of fun.

I also want to say that the book's narrator, R.C. Bray, was just amazing. I firmly believe he made an enjoyable book even better. He had an amazing array of voices, and he did a fantastic job with the scientific stuff that would have likely made my eyes glaze over had I been reading the print version. He was just fantastic.